Look How Far We’ve Come!
Thank you all for your support! I’m pleased to recognize the leadership of the House Energy and Commerce Committee for passing a comprehensive health care reform bill; America’s Affordable Health Choices Act (H.R. 3200). This bill takes a big step toward widening access to evidence-based maternity care that is safer and more effective than the prevailing style of care pregnant women experience in the U.S.
In particular, the bill will:
- Prohibit the use of pregnancy as a pre-existing condition by health insurance providers;
- Widens access to certified nurse-midwives by eliminating inequities in how they are reimbursed under Madicare;
- Measure and report publicly the performance of maternity care facilities and providers and use results to improve care;
- Pay for home visits by nurses for families during or after pregnancy by Medicaid;
- Expand access to primary maternity care by improving Medicaid coverage of freestanding birth centers;
- Provide incentives to maternity care providers under Medicaid to provide care to underserved women and their families.
This legislation goes a long way toward acheving our eight steps to reform maternity care. It also expands access to primary maternity care that supports a woman’s innate capacity for birthing, breastfeeding and attachment, and avoids overuse of medical services and gives priority to prevention and wellness.
Continue to call your senators to gain support and together we can change maternity care in America.
Information sited from Childbirth Connection on 8/19/2009