Roman Jewish rock carving of woman giving birth
Now offering childbirth classes at the Lovers Lane Birth Center located at Cottonwood Park ! Classes will be taught every Saturday and Sunday. Classes are taught beautifuly combining the best of Bradley and Birthing from Within. Because of the busy demands life calls upon us I will condense the information into 8 classes instead of 12. 4 week classes are also avail every month.
To view childbirth class schedules click here.
Why 8 classes?
The standard series of classes for a successful class is 4-8 continuous weeks for many reasons. First of all it works. The statistical analysis shows that students who attend a full series are more likely to have an unmedicated birth. In looking at renewal information it has been found that the fewer the weeks of classes the higher the rate of medication.
There are many reasons for this and perhaps the first is that there is a difference between learning information and preparing the body physically for an athletic event. No one would go out for an Olympic event with less than 3 months of training. Shortening the time of preparation for birth is like being in a rush to prepare a cake for a dinner party and cooking it for only half the time. Cake takes time to cook and the human body takes time to prepare for birth.
Birth is so much easier if you know what to expect. The problem of not knowing what is going on can be scary. If you were in an unfimillar dark place at night and a persons tapped you on the shoulder you would tense up and scream. If you were at a familiar place where you know everyone and someone tapped you on the shoulder you would turn around and say “Hi”. Eight weeks of information, practice, education through lecture, discussion, videos, and role playing will ensure you to what to expect; this can make a big difference.
THIS IS THE BIRTH OF YOUR BABY!
Commit to being the best you can be for your baby. Take the time to learn, practice and enjoy the thrill of birth. Take reign of things and be your own birth advocate. A healthy baby, healthy mother, healthy family is our goal. Four or eight weeks is a small commitment for a life enriching experience.
The beginning of each series will start with a mother and/or partner who has experienced birth using the techniques learned in my class. These classes will include nutrition and exercise, the partner’s role, explain each stage of labor including role-playing, complications and intervention education, and getting the new family prepared. We will also learn about different birth settings, breastfeeding, and the benefits of hiring a Doula and lactation consultant. In the class we will touch on creating a birth plan to express you wants and desires for your ideal birth. We begin each class with a relaxation technique and some light yoga. Please dress relaxed in loose fitted clothes. We will be sitting on the floor, practicing exercises, stretches, and relaxation techniques.
The goal upon completion of these 8 classes is to obtain the knowledge to having the birth that works for you and your partner and to empower you to make an informed decision in any situation.
Please leave a reply so that I may have a correct head count and don’t over-book the class. A deposit of $150 is due with your registration form so I may purchase necessary supplies for you. The balance of $100 must be paid in full by first day of class. I am open to payment arrangements if needed. If you are using my services through the WIC program, White Rose program, or Gabriel’s Angels program please include that in your reply so I can modify your registration form.
Please click here to download the registration form. You may send it to me via post-mail or email, your choice.
Also, please download and fill out the childbirth questionnaire ( click “childbirth questionnaire”) and have it at the first day of class!
Finally, please go to www.babyfit.com and register. There you will be able to track your nutrition. Please print and bring with you a weeks worth of your food intake to the first day of class.
When choosing a class please check your personal schedule. Choose a class that ends 4 weeks before you due date. Your place in class you have chosen is not transferable. Although conflicts may arise, makeup classes are available at an additional charge. It is your choice to arrange activities such as baby showers, business meetings, etc., around the childbirth class’ scheduled dates, or to miss that class including the valuable information learned during that time period. I look forward to working with you to achieve a positive birth and am willing to work out a better time for the majority of the class!
CHILDBIRTH CLASS SCHEDULE
Series 1: Saturday morning
(4 spaces avail)
- Jan 8th 10:30-12:30 pm: Nutrition and exercise for a low risk pregnancy; goals for your birth.
- Jan. 15th 10:30-12:30 pm: Pregnancy anatomy and physiology; relaxation and visualization.
- Jan. 22nd 10:30-12:30 pm: Partners role in birth, hiring a Doula.
- Jan. 29th 10:30-1 pm: First and second stage of labor; please allow extra time for this class.
- Feb. 5th 10:30-12:30 pm: First stage review, plan your birth, explore different birth settings and protocol.
- Feb.12th 10:30-12:30 pm: Complications, intervention, and postpartum preparation.
- Feb.19th10:30-1 pm: First and second stage review; please allow extra time for this class.
- Feb. 26th 10:30-1 pm: The new family, breastfeeding, adjusting to change, newborn cues.
Series 2: Sunday morning
(4 spaces avail)
- Jan. 9th 10-12 pm: Nutrition and exercise for a low risk pregnancy; goals for your birth.
- Jan. 16th 10-12 pm: Pregnancy anatomy and physiology; relaxation and visualization.
- Jan. 23rd 10-12 pm: Partners role in birth, hiring a Doula.
- Jan. 30th 10-12:30 pm: First and second stage of labor; please allow extra time for this class.
- Feb. 6th 10-12 pm: First stage review, plan your birth, explore different birth settings and protocol.
- Feb.13th 10-12 pm: Complications, intervention, and postpartum preparation.
- Feb. 20th10-12:30 pm: First and second stage review; please allow extra time for this class.
- Feb. 27th 10-12:30 pm: The new family, breastfeeding, adjusting to change, newborn cues.
Series 3: Saturday afternoon condensed class
(4 spaces avail) ** This is a 4 week class**
- Jan 8th 2-4:30 pm: Nutrition and exercise for a low risk pregnancy; goals for your birth; Partner’s role.
- Jan. 15th 2-4:30 pm: Stages of Labor & comfort measures.
- Jan. 22nd 2-4:30 pm: Breastfeeding & stages of labor review.
- Jan. 29th 2-4:30 pm: Your amazing newborn, adjusting to change, & more breastfeeding.